Monday, January 19, 2009

If you lose your memory...

Today seven of us who will be traveling to Greece together took the metro to the train station to buy our tickets. We will be taking the overnight "Friendship" Express from Istanbul to Thessaloniki Greece. Jamie has a friend who lived in Thessaloniki for five years and sent her a list of many good places to eat and things to do there. We want to travel to Athens for a few days after being in Thessaloniki. Then we will take a train back to Istanbul, stopping in Thessaloniki again because I think we have to transfer trains there to get back to Istanbul.

Walker and I continued on to Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque because they are nearby the train station. We weren't able to go inside Hagia Sophia because its closed on Mondays, but we did go inside the Blue Mosque. It was huge and the ceilings were beautiful.



There are many people selling things who cater towards tourists in the area, speaking the English they need to try to make a sale. A carpet salesman at the Blue Mosque did his best to try to get us to come to his shop and have tea and view his carpets. My favorite salesman we passed was one who was selling camera memory cards among other things. He pointed to them as we passed and said, "If you lose your memory, you can buy memory cards here!"

I'm going to finish packing and trying to lighten my bag now. I just have my over-the-shoulder bag and a small tote bag for the 6 or 7 days we'll be there since we will have to carry everything for a while when we arrive before we can check into a hotel.














3 comments:

  1. I just got home from Staples where I bought more memory for my camera. Good to know there is a back up in case I forget where I put it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you arrived safe and sound. What is the address of the apartment where you are living so we can see how far away the place is where we will be when we visit. The toilets remind me so much of Egypt. We had to pay for toilet paper. Sounds like you are finding real food to eat. Egypt was a horror. The 4 of us seemed to live on Snickers bars and bread! Love the day to day adventures. When does school start? Love Aunt Leslie & Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new pictures, and it is good to see a picture of your smiling face too! I love the cats.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete