Saturday, January 17, 2009

Across to Asia

Yesterday the full effect of jet lag hit me, and most of our group. I didn't wake up until close to 2:00 pm. Our hot water heater was broken which meant no hot water, of course, and no heat because we have radiators. The no heat part wasn't so bad because our apartment always seems warm anyway, but and ice cold shower wasn't something I had on my agenda for the day. Walker and I looked up the phrase for "water heater doesn't work" (şofben çalışmiyor) and he went down to tell Nadım, our security guard/maintenance man. Nadım came up and reset the water heater for us. On his way out he told us to unplug the emergency light he'd given us, because it was fully charged, saying "money, money". Apparently gas and electricity bills here can get pretty high. It will be interesting to see how much our first one is and compare it to the one at home.

After we were showered, we headed out to find some food because we had slept through the last three meals. We decided to give-in to the temptation of the restaurant on the corner, in which the workers always stand at the window and motion you to eat there. It ended up being a good choice. We had sandwiches (beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and fries all stuffed in a pita or pide), grape leaves stuffed with rice, and the best rolls I think I have ever had in my life. Some other people from our group met up with us and we ventured down İştiklal street. It was rainy for most of the evening. Walker and I wandered down the street, following the tram tracks, stopping to get dessert and check out a few clothing stores. We were hoping to find some unique Turkish clothing, or at least brands, but were disappointed to see a lot of Abercrobie & Fitch and Hollister being sold. Towards the end of the street we came to an area full of musical instrument stores. The tram tracks continued to what looked like a road with traffic, so we turned off on a side street and found Galata Tower. It was beautiful at night lit up. The area it's in is very nice as well, little shops with nice-looking apartments over them surround the tower. After that we decided to head back for the night.


Today I think I have finally kicked my jet lag, or at least I am beginning to. I was able to get up at 9:30 am this morning, even though I still wasn't able to fall asleep until 4:00 am last night. We were met not with cold water this morning but with very cold weather! We got a small group together, bundled up, went to one of our favorite places to get cheap sandwiches (YTL 2,00 -about $1.25), then walked to Taksim Square. The plan for the day was to take a ferry to Anatolia, the Asia-side of İstanbul.


We passed by the Dolmabahçe Palace along the way.
Atatürk spent his last days here before he passed away.

We walked to the Bosphorus where the ferries taxi people across the water and bought our tokens for the Üsküdar ferry.



Our ferry tokens, front and back. Only YTL 1,50.


It was freezing on the ferry! But the view was great.


Looking towards the European shore.



The Bosphorus Bridge.


Looking towards the Asia shore.


And then we were in Asia!



Not much different than the European side. After wandering for a bit we headed towards a mosque, walked into the entry courtyard, and saw people washing their feet to go in for prayer. There was a WC (public toilets), and I needed to go badly, so a few of us braved it. Fifty kuruş (similar to fifty cents) buys you a tiny coin that looks like it's been pressed with a machine that makes the ruffles in Ruffle's potato chips. Insert the coin into the turn style, and you are through to the bathrooms, er, if you can call them that. Even though I'd read about them, I was surprised to see them in person. Tiny niches are in the walls of the hallway-like room. On the floor of each niche, embedded into the stone, is a pan with a hole. The first three niches are enclosed, with a door marked bayan (women). Luckily there were hooks for me to hang my coat on. It wasn't as difficult as I thought, but not something I would want to do on a regular basis. I hadn't brought my bag with my camera in, but they looked something like this.


We bought sandwiches from the vendors stationed right outside the ferry station and wandered a little further along the Bosphorus, but the cold got to us and we decided to head back.



There are so many stray animals in Istanbul. This one was resting next to the ferry token kiosks. The red tag in his ear, place there by the city, means he's had his shots, I think.


A mosque back on the European side.




A man had this shooting game set up; I don't think he had a license for that.


I stopped at the market on the way home and got Woolite, pasta sauce, milk, and more yogurt. Now I'm sitting in our dining area in the apartment, feeling ready to take another nap, but I plan on holding out, hopefully not until 4:00 am again though!

No comments:

Post a Comment