Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sultanahmet Revisited

Sorry for the lack of posts lately.  I've been busy with school work, friends visiting, and exploring Istanbul more.

This weekend Karen Rogers and Scott Finn, two of our Auburn professors who are presently teaching the group in Rome, flew in for the weekend to see Istanbul.  Tarik was busy yesterday, so Cameron, Amanda (who was also visiting for the week), and I took them to Sultanahmet to see Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Basilica Cistern.  Karen Rogers had taught our Architecture History II class in Auburn in which covers mosque architecture.  It was amazing to visit Hagia Sophia with her and listen to all of her knowledge and observations on the building.  For lunch we ate kebabs at a restaurant with wonderful homemade bread.  After we got back Amanda and I did some shopping on Istiklal.  I got four shirts and a sweater for 45 lira (about 27 dollars), two scarves (5 lira each), and a very cool red bag.

We have our first set of reviews on Thursday, so I'm going to get to studio soon to work for the day.  Tonight we're going to one of our Turkish friends' birthday parties.








6 comments:

  1. Don't get shopped out before Aunt Leslie and I get there! Love to hear about great bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Barbara is totally into bread. :)

    I LOVE that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowers are gorgeous! And I love the sightseeing cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures and keeping up the blog. 2 WEEKS and we will be there to bug you!!!!

    Aunt Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put a new battery in my (well it is actually Steve's) travel alarm clock and set it for Istanbul time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about your shopping trips and the pictures are wonderful!

    Continue to work hard, enjoy the experience and stay well!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete